Fresh fruit is such a treat. While apples and pears steal the show in many of my favorite fruit-based desserts, I want to add pineapple to the list too! Sometimes the easiest and simplest recipes are beloved by everyone. We recently made Easy Caramelized Pineapple for dessert, and it was so good I can’t stop thinking about it!
It’s easy to get carried away dreaming about summer and happier moments when you enjoy this pineapple recipe. The sweetness of the sugar and the tender pineapple remind me of picnics or the beach and time spent with family and friends. Sometimes you want something sweet but you also want something different, and this Easy Caramelized Pineapple recipe is another fun way to enjoy this delicious fruit.
Selecting a Pineapple
Definitely pick a ripe pineapple for this recipe. The color, feel, and smell of the pineapple will guide you.
- Color: The pineapple should appear to be yellow in color. The intensity of the yellow color corresponds with the ripeness of the pineapple. If it is green or orange, it’s best to look for a different one.
- Feel: The pineapple will feel a bit soft if it is ripe. If it is hard, then it is not ripe.
- Smell: The scent of the pineapple should be sweet. If it smells off, then you’ll want to keep looking.
I use a little less brown sugar and opt instead to combine it with honey for flavor. I typically use fresh pineapple, but canned pineapple works too! For this recipe, I paired the pineapple with vanilla ice cream, but you could also serve it with a different flavor to suit your tastes. This is an easy quick way to enjoy caramelized pineapple. You can double the recipe depending on how many pineapple slices you would like to serve per person. I found that two rings of pineapple and a half a scoop of ice cream seemed to work well for everyone in my family. That said, you’ll want to adjust this serving size as needed.
Easy Caramelized Pineapple
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes 2 to 4 servings*
*Serve 1 pineapple ring or 2 pineapple rings per person.
- Pineapple corer (optional)
- Measuring spoons
- Skillet or nonstick pan
- unsalted butter (divided; 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons melted)
- 1/2 pineapple (4 rings), cored and sliced (alternatively, an 8-ounce can of pineapple)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup (2 scoops) of vanilla ice cream (optional; adjust accordingly)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and mix with the brown sugar and honey.
- Melt 1 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over low heat. Add the pineapple and the brown sugar and honey mixture to the skillet, and cook the pineapple until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve the pineapple and drizzle with the remaining sugar mixture. Optional: Top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!