Everyone is warm and cozy and getting ready to watch a family-favorite movie. Someone asks for snacks. Ok, maybe I’m the one who wants the snacks. It’s the holidays, so why not make it extra special? Something like chocolate peppermint popcorn!
The remaining chocolate and crushed candy canes from the Peppermint Chocolate Covered Pretzels makes a snack more delicious than I imagined. Salty and sweet and festive!
This one is fairly simple, but I wanted to share a few things I think will create beautiful popcorn in case you are serving it to guests or giving it as a gift. You will want to pay close attention to cooking the popcorn so it doesn’t burn, and spread the popcorn out on parchment in one single layer.
Spreading the popcorn out in a single layer helps create even coverage with the chocolate. Use a spoon to drizzle it back and forth and resist the urge to mix it up with the spoon. Mixing the popcorn and the chocolate may ruin some of the decorative lines created when the chocolate is drizzled.
Once the popcorn is evenly coated in chocolate, use a spoon to sprinkle the crushed candy cane on top. Place the baking pan into the refrigerator for about 15 minutes. You don’t want the popcorn to become too cold before snacking on it, but you want the chocolate to set. Finally, break the layer of popcorn up into snack-sized sections of chocolate peppermint popcorn.
Chocolate Peppermint Popcorn
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Makes about 10 to 12 cups
- Microwave safe bowl
- Sheet pan or baking pan
- Parchment paper
- 1 package (10 ounces) of dark chocolate melting wafers
- 6 ounces crushed candy canes (alternatively, 12 peppermint candy canes coarsely chopped)
- 10 to 12 cups of microwave or fresh popped popcorn
- Line a baking sheet or pan with parchment paper. Spread the popcorn out on the parchment in a single layer.
- Place the dark chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Stir and repeat as needed until smooth.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate back and forth over the popcorn as desired. Generously sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the top of the chocolate covered popcorn.
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Enjoy or store in a metal tin until served.
(Inspired by Peppermint Chocolate Covered Pretzels.)